Advanced Data Model in Salesforce is related to external Ids, external relationships and hierarchical relationships. As we reviewed in the previous post Data Model in Salesforce, Data Model is a collection of objects related each other to represent our data in the Salesforce Database. Now we are going to see more advance information about this subject.
- Fields that contain a unique identifier from a system outside of Salesforce.
- Created with the Unique ID setting. That way, External Id values are unique to each record inside Salesforce.
- Limit can be up to 25 External ID fields on an object.
- The field type must be number, text or email.
- Are searchable in Salesforce.
- Allows linking a Salesforce object with a parent external object.
- It’s used to allows referencing data outside of the Salesforce organization.
- External object field values come from an external data source.
- Links a child external object with a parent standard or custom object from Salesforce.
- Needs a custom unique external ID field on the parent object.
- The external column name and a unique external id field are used for matching and associating the records.
Implications of External and Indirect Lookup Relationships
- External and Indirect lookup relationships are available for external objects.
- Related list of child external objects could be impacted if the external systems availability is impacted.
- Lookup searches are not available for both lookups.
- Cross-filters are not supported in reports.
- Can be defined on the User object to allow relating one user to another.
- For example, you can create a user related to their boss’ user with hierarchical relationship.
More Information of Advanced Data Model
- Introducing Relationships
- Create Object Relationships
- Report Considerations for Salesforce Connect—All Adapters
- Considerations for Relationships