Data Model is the third section of the Salesforce Associate exam. We are going to review the main concepts to help you do reviews before the Associate certification.
This section of the exam is divided into three subsections:
- Explain the relationship between the core standard objects (account, contact, lead, opportunity, case).
- Given a scenario, determine which feature to use to ensure data visibility.
- Given a scenario, determine which tool to use to ensure data integrity.
This section covers 25% of the exam, which means you’ll expect to receive 10 questions about this subject.
This article has been written in question-answer format. I’ll recommend you include these concepts on flashcards and review them constantly.
Data Model Part 1: Explain the relationship between the core standard objects (account, contact, lead, opportunity, case)
4 ways to assign leads in Salesforce?
- Create a Lead directly in Salesforce.
- Web-to-Lead form: Collect leads from a website.
- Import leads from a file.
- Assign leads automatically.
Why use the lead workspace?
To track interactions with leads.
5 sections of the Leads Workspace:
- Campaign History: Lead involved in any marketing campaigns.
- Details: Information about the lead.
When can I convert a lead?
Once a Lead is qualified, you can convert it.
What happens when a Lead is converted?
Salesforce uses the information stored in the lead, to create a business account, a contact and an opportunity.
What happens to the lead conversion when I enable a person account?
If the lead didn’t include a company name, the lead is converted into a person account.
Recommendation for Leads and Opportunities?
Use Standard naming conventions for leads and opportunities.
You can automate that process by using Flows.
What is an opportunity?
It’s a deal in progress.
5 Default Opportunity Stages?
- Proposal/Price Quote
What is a Contact Role?
Tell you which contacts you’re dealing with and how they are related to the opportunity.
How do I add Contact Roles to an Opportunity?
In the related list “Contact Roles” we can do it.
Why use Opportunity Teams and Account Teams?
To sell as a team. Helps team members work together and track the opportunity’s progress.
Differences between Opportunity Teams and Account Teams?
- Account team members: Expected a long-term relationship with a customer.
- Opportunity team members: Is a temporary group.
What do I do if I usually work with the same coworkers on opportunities?
- Create a Default Opportunity Team.
- Or you can use Default account teams in opportunities too.
How do I split credit for an opportunity?
Using “Opportunity Splits” to incentivize the team members to complete a deal by sharing credit.
What is an “overlay split” on an opportunity?
Is a way to credit supporting team members.
3 report types to report individual sales credits for the entire team?
- Split Opportunities, Split Opportunities with Products and Split Opportunities with Products and Schedules.
Data Model Part 2: Given a scenario, determine which feature to use to ensure data visibility
What is a Path?
It’s an indicator that helps you visualize where you are and where you’re going in Leads and Opportunities.
What is the Kanban view?
It’s a visual summary of the records in a list view.
Why use the Kanban view?
To give you a big picture view of all your work.
How do I use the Kanban view?
Go to the Opportunity tab / All Oportunities list view / Display as Menu
Why view a Chart of List View Data?
To summarize the data in your list view in different ways.
How do I view a Chart of list view Data?
Click on the chart icon, on the right side, of the Opportunity tab, in the all opportunities list view.
2 reasons to use Dynamic Forms?
- To migrate fields and sections from layout to an individual component in the Lightning App Builder.
- To give the users only the fields and sections they want.
When to use Dynamic Forms?
To create or update basic forms.
5 cases to use Screen Flows with LWC?
- Multi-screen form.
- UX requirements and LWC.
- Cross Objects.
- Additional Logic
- Actions behind the form.
3 Features of a Dynamic Form:
- Instant migration from Page Layouts to Dynamic Forms.
- Visibility Rules.
- Simple organization in the layout.
2 ways to create a dynamic Form:
- From App Builder, we can create a Lightning page and drag fields and sections to the page.
- Existing record pages migrate the records using the migration wizard.
5 Considerations for using dynamic forms:
- Owner and Record Type fields are read-only.
- When you save a new Custom Object with name empty, it saves the Record Id as Name. The Name field should be on the page and should be required.
- Field sections are only available on desktop devices.
- Record Details are only available on Mobile.
- No Record Detail component and field sections on the same page.
6 objects supported by Dynamic Forms?
- Custom Objects
3 Limitations of Dynamic Forms?
- It doesn’t work in Internet Explorer.
- Blank spaces aren’t supported.
- Up to 100 fields per column in a Field Section component
3 elements included when we migrate a page to a dynamic form?
- Sections containing fields.
- Layout save options.
Data Model Part 3: Given a scenario, determine which tool to use to ensure data integrity
2 parts of a picklist?
- Field: Type of picklist.
- Value Set: Choices a user sees.
3 Types of Picklist fields?
- Standard: The one that comes with Salesforce.
- Custom: The ones you create in each object.
- Custom Multi-Select
2 Properties of a picklist field?
- Restricted Picklist
- Dependent Picklist
2 reasons to use a Restricted Picklist?
- To Restrict users from adding new values.
- To keep your data consistent.
How do I create a restricted picklist?
Select the “Restrict picklist to the values defined in the value set” option when you create a custom picklist.
Why use a Dependent Picklist?
To improve data integrity by filtering values for one picklist based on a selection from another picklist or a checkbox on the same record.
How do I create a Dependent Picklist?
- Go to Setup / Select your Object / Fields & Relationships / Field Dependencies / New.
- Select the controlling and dependent field.
- Select in the field dependency matrix which dependent picklist values are available when a user selects each controlling field value.
3 ways to define a value on a picklist?
- Set individual values.
- Built-in set of values for the standard picklist.
- Use a Global value set.
What is a global value set?
A custom set of values to share with more than one picklist field.
Picklist vs. Multi-Select Picklist?
- Picklist: One value at a time.
- Multi-select Picklist: One or more values at a time.
How do I offer more than one option to the user in a multi-select picklist?
- Separate the values with a semicolon.
- E.g. Gingerbread;Strawberry;Chocolate.
5 Considerations of picklists?
- We can convert a custom picklist to a multi-select picklist to support multiple values in the field.
- When converting a multi-select picklist to a picklist field that doesn’t support multi-select, Salesforce clears the values for that field and only allows one value.
- To get multi-select picklist data, use contains or includes, not equals.
- In reports and dashboards, multi-select picklist selections are grouped independently.
- Only specific functions can reference multi-select picklists in formulas.
3 things about inactive values in a picklist?
- Inactive values are not showing up in the picklist.
- You can reactive inactive values.
- There is a limit on total combined active and inactive values.
3 things about deleting and replacing values?
- If there is a blank value, it won’t appear in the picklist.
- Deleting a value in a picklist goes to the background job queue. When the job is complete, your picklist is updated and you’re notified by email.
- If you replace a parent value, the picklist dependency on that value is lost.
What do Controlling and dependent fields mean?
There are two types of fields involved in a Dependent Picklist. The controlling field is the one that sets a value, and the dependent field is the one that filters it’s values because of the controlling field.
4 Considerations of a Dependent Picklist?
- Custom picklist fields can be either controlling or dependent fields.
- Standard picklist fields can only be controlling fields.
- Multi-select picklist fields can only be dependent fields.
- Can only use default values for controlling fields.
How do I set a formula for Default Values of a Picklist?
- Under the General Options in the creation/update of a picklist.
Why use Global Value Sets?
To group values that can be used in more than one picklist.
How do I create Global Value Sets?
- Go to Setup / Search for Picklist Value Sets / New
- Fill in the fields needed to create it.
How do I use Global value sets?
- Go to the Object / Create a new Picklist.
- Select: “Use a global value set” and select the Global value set.
2 considerations about Global Value Sets?
- To replace a value, create the new value first. Then click Replace to start the process.
- Deleting a value, goes to the background job queues.
Why promote a Global Value Set?
When we have a default value that can be part of a Global Value Set, we can edit the picklist and use the “Promote a Global Value” button.
Notes Gattered from Simulation Exams
4 ways to control record-level access in Salesforce?
- Organization-wide default
- Role Hierarchy
- Sharing Rules
- Manual Sharing
What is an Organization-wide default?
- Define the default level of access.
What is a Role Hierarchy?
Extend record access to users higher in the hierarchy.
What are the Sharing Rules?
To grant additional record access to certain users or groups of users.
What is Manual Sharing?
Owner of a record to share it with other users. (When you can’t automate or someone is off)
How do I grant access to Objects, Fields and Records?
- Object-level Security: Permission Set and Profile.
- Field-level Security: Permission Set and Profile.
- Record-level security:
- Sharing Rules
- Manual Sharing
4 types of Organization-wide default access?
- Public Read only
- Public Read/write
- Controlled by Parent
When should I use a validation rule?
To make a field required when it meets certain criteria.
How do I log- in outside of specific hours?
Which feature allows you to create relationships between accounts?
Which type of relationship exists between an Account and a Contact?
What is the type of relationship between an Account and a Opportunity?
How many master-detail relationships can an object have?
- Trailhead: Customize a Salesforce Object
- Custom Fields: Quick Look
- Formulas and Validations
- Trailhead: Data Modeling
- Object Relationships Overview
- Salesforce Certified Associate: Study Up on the Data Model
If you want to learn about the first and the second section of the Salesforce Associate Certification, you can go to this post: Salesforce Ecosystem Review for Associates and The “Navigation” Review for Associates